Camino too easy?

Ana Young ayoung2001aYAHOO.COM
Fri Nov 7 07:52:37 PST 2003

--- Richard Ferguson <peregrinoaATT.NET> wrote:
> Your experience on the Camino will necessarily vary,
> depending on your background, your
> experience, your language skills, your spiritual
> view, your companions if any, the weather, the
> incidents or misadventures you have, how many km you
> walk per day, the physical ailments
> you develop on the walk, etc.  But I do not think
> that you will find it "easy".
>
> Richard

No, you probably will not find it "easy," and that
depends, as Richard says, on many things. I had no
background whatsoever in hiking, backpacking, etc.,
was middle-aged and somewhat overweight - in other
words, not "in shape," as the term is understood. I
found some of it difficult, especially the Alto de
Erro right after Roncesvalles, the Alto de Perdon and
several climbs after Leon, especially right before
Rabanal. But that last was almost all asphalt and that
was the hardest part for me. Asphalt is hell to walk
on.

I had quite a shock at first because my training was
sporadic the first time, but I eventually got
accustomed to it all - so much so that by the time I
got to the climb to O Cebreiro, which I only did my
second time, it was almost easy - well, ok ... almost.
I guess I had heard so many warnings about it that I
was expecting much more by the time I got there.
Sometimes, my expectations had a lot to do with it.

So, basically, it seemed to me an "intermediate" walk.
But you definitely need some training.

Buen Camino!
Ana