Health Food inquiry (2)

Lisa Kraus LMKRAUSaDOANE.EDU
Mon Mar 31 10:00:55 PST 2003

Just a note about the milk  and dairy products in Spain:

I was never able to find 'regular' milk like I am used to drinking here in the heartland of the US.  Instead, it was all "leche entera" which is supposedly "whole" or "complete" milk but it has been highly processed.  It has a very long shelf life and doesn't need to be refridgerated until opened.  I never could get used to the taste (even after being there for 6 months) so I only drank it in coffee or hot chocolate (commonly referred to by "ColaCao"--the brand name of a popular chocoalte drink mix).

Aside from the milk, there is a large variety of cheeses (though I have no idea of their nutritional break-down), yogurt and of course ice cream that are quite delicious.  I think you would have the best luck finding low-fat choices in larger grocery stores such as el Corte Ingles.  Hopefully, these will agree with your dietary needs.

As for other low-fat options along the Camino, a lot of the meat, fish and potatos are fried (in olive oil).  Good luck!

Lisa

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Tom Priestly [mailto:tom.priestly at UALBERTA.CA]
	Sent: Fri 28-Mar-03 1:35 PM
	To: GOCAMINO at PETE.URI.EDU
	Subject: Health Food inquiry (2)

	And while you are answering Phil's question, please enlarge your answer a little to answer mine. The list and the archive have a great deal of useful info about vegetarian diets, but little or nothing that I could find about fat-free and low-fat diets. My fellow-walker and I have both had by-pass operations. Since mine (in 1992) I have kept to a very low-fat diet, and my arteries have remained unclogged. This is easy in North America, with skim milk, and fat-free cheeses, fat-free yoghourts, fat-free  ice-creams. On the protein side, I eat any fish and the white meat of chicken, turkey, as well as legumes of course. - In central Europe, which I visit often (e.g., Austria, Slovenia) it is not easy to find the exact equivalents, but 1% fat milk and so on is available.
	Letters to this list have already taught me about tuna salads, which with bread with cover three of the four basic food groups. I remain however concerned about dairy products - especially after my first visit to Spain, 3 years ago (Bilbao), where I found almost nothing suitable (but back then I spoke no Spanish: perhaps I missed it).
	I can go for a month without any dairy products, but would prefer not to! Thanks, Tom Priestly

		I just got handed a curve......I had a minor case of pancreatitus. In being pro-active...I will be in need of good sources of protein that is not heavy in fat. Suggestions. Also protein drinks..What brands are available along the way..Health food stores???What are they called in spanish and are they available along the way.  An other suggestions regarding diet? Thanks, Phil Judd

	--
	Tom Priestly
	e-mail: tom.priestly at ualberta.ca