Finisterre

dandekay dandekayaSBCGLOBAL.NET
Sun Mar 30 23:19:19 PST 2003

After walking to Santiago from St. Jean Pied de Port, and then the three days' further walk to Finisterre, it was my experience that the walk from town to the lighthouse was nothing more than another km. or so... not difficult at all.  Those who will walk to Finisterre shouldn't find it any more difficult than your daily walk along the Camino.   And yes, there definitely is a sense of "the end of the world" from the rocks at the lighthouse.  Enjoy it!
        Buen Camino,
              Daniel
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Howard Mendes
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2003 9:45 AM
  Subject: Re: Finisterre

  In a message dated 3/30/2003 12:33:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, eldorpaHOTMAIL.COM writes:

    There is a true end of the world feeling sitting on the cliff above the rocks below the lighthouse watching the Atlantic surf.

  I agree.  One word of caution.  Even if you go there by bus, the climb up to the lighthouse from the town proper where the bus lets you off can be quite challenging.  The road is very steep and the climb was somewhat difficult for us since we did not expect it.  Some of our friends shared a taxi from Santiago which took them directly up to the lighthouse so they were spared the hike.  Howard Mendes, NYC