age

Bob Spenger rspengeraADELPHIA.NET
Sun Mar 30 19:33:08 PST 2003

I somehow don't feel that inspiring.  I am more of an ornery old cuss
who is lucky enough to have had the genes and good health that enabled
me to make these trips. If my example does inspire people to remain as
active as they can be as they get older - fine, but it is more luck than
anything else. My admiration goes out to those who have made the
pilgrimages in spite of real adversities. The subject of pain and
suffering has been on the agenda of the group lately. In an offlist
message to the originator of the topic, I said that I really did not
experience much more of that than I would have by staying at home and a
couple of other respondents have expressed the same idea. I have
certainly met a number of pilgrims who had pain and suffering as a
result of walking the pilgrimage, but it is not inevitable and I don't
think that it is all that common. People who do the Appalachian  and
Pacific Crest Trails have much rougher terrain and have to carry much
more weight - and they are doing it for fun.I don't think that the
physical difficulties of the pilgrimage should be dismissed, but I do
think that they tend to be exaggerated on this forum.

regards,

Robert