Finisterre

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Mon Mar 31 06:02:50 PST 2003

In a message dated 3/31/2003 2:17:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dandekayaSBCGLOBAL.NET writes:

> After walking to Santiago from St. Jean Pied de Port, and then the three
> days' further walk to Finisterre, it was my experience that the walk from
> town to the lighthouse was nothing more than another km. or so... not
> difficult at all.  Those who will walk to Finisterre shouldn't find it any
> more difficult than your daily walk along the Camino.

Not to belabor the point, I strongly disagree.  I recall that it was far more
than "...another km. or so..." and I found the climb fairly difficult as did
my two companions that day.  It is an extremely steep uphill road to the
lighthouse and as difficult a climb as many others, true, but that does not
minimize it.

Of course, there will always be those who will summarily provide a contrarian
viewpoint to almost anything said here. My original point was simply that
people should be forewarned about the relative difficulty in getting from the
town to the lighthouse.  Those who disagree are disserving others who may
find it an unexpectedly tough climb that noone warned me about in advance.
Howard Mendes, NYC