Finisterre

Bob Spenger rspengeraADELPHIA.NET
Sun Mar 30 10:44:26 PST 2003

I suppose that it is a challenge if someone takes the bus into town
without knowing that there is an up hill walk to the cape itself, but my
own experience was the complete opposite of yours. I had just finished
the 12 km walk from Cee to Fisterra with a badly swollen ankle. Once I
dumped my pack in the hotel room in town, I felt light enough to fly up
the 2.5 km left to the cape. The paved road was no steeper than many
others that I had encountered between Arles and Fisterra and without the
pack it was a breeze. Trying to descend to the water from the lighthouse
was a different matter. I did not make it all the way down - just far
enough so that I could throw one of my walking sticks into the closest
cove. It was fortunate that I had two sticks, since I needed the other
one to get back up the cliff. The trail back up was not all that well
defined, some of the rocks were loose, and I was 75 at the time, so I
was a bit unnerved by it all. It was probably a mistake to try to carry
out the tradition of throwing my walking stick into the water from
there. It was later pointed out to me that I could just as well have
tossed it into the bay from the wharf in town and that probably most
stick tossers did it that way.

regards,

Robert
rspengeraadelphia.net