another interesting book, and more on belligerence as a way of life

Myrtitar Sahas myrtitaraYAHOO.CA
Sun Mar 30 10:00:04 PST 2003

It is no coincidence that the American conquest began just as the "Reconquista" was ending in Spain. All those soldiers, and no more land to conquer in the Peninsula. The knight measured his worth by his work, which was fighting; not by his ability to till the soil or engage in scientific or economic study and work.
I have been re-reading an interesting book.
Spain; the Root and the Flower
by John A Crow, Berkeley: U. of Calif. Press, 3rd. ed., 1985.
isbn 0-520-05133-5
I just picked it up at Chapters, so it is still in print.
I havent been a scholar in this field since the late sixties, having mover to the study of Islam. I would be interested in hearing impressions of this book.

 Maura Santangelo <maurasantangeloaSTNY.RR.COM> wrote:> I found it interesting and a kind of synchronicity that Queen Isabella
> and King Ferdinand reconquered Spain with the help of Santiago
> Matamoros in 1492, just as they were funding an expedition of C
> Colombo to the Americas.

Grandmother to Gabriel and Jacob