Ultreia E Suseia

Bob Spenger rspengeraADELPHIA.NET
Mon Mar 17 21:02:37 PST 2003

Presumably ultreia and suseia, each pronounced with four syllables, are
directly from Latin and not from one of the many derived languages,
since they appear in hymns that are in Latin. Even in a French camino
song that I learned a while back, the verses were in French, but the
chorus, which had these words, was in Latin. I can't find them in Latin
dictionaries and it has been almost 64 years since I finished with my
meager two years of high school Latin, so I remember very little of it.
I mentioned the four syllables, since the particular hymn that I have on
hand at this moment shows them drawn out this way. In fact, there are
five notes for each, with two notes for the third syllable in each (i.e.
the "I"). I believe that this hymn was one that was sent in by Pieter to
one or another of the pilgrim internet groups.

regards,

Robert Spenger
rspengeraadelphia.net