Blisters

Crawley, Jeffrey jeffrey.crawleyaFABERMAUNSELL.COM
Fri Jun 27 07:57:56 PDT 2003

I only asked because I witnessed a Spanish army doctor in Burgos military hospital being serverely dressed down by an Irish paediatrician (pilgrim) over the lancing of blisters - she thought the practice barbaric.

Certainly Spanish girls go to the needle and thread with gusto and laugh at their male friends for being wimps.

I live in a part of the country with lots of sheep and collect real sheepskin (clean but soaking with lanolin) as a pad to go over the blister and under the tape which is odd because I (fortunately) have never needed it. Certainly all my first aid training goes against the practice of introducing a hole into the skin but then, having seen some of the huge blisters out there, I can see the point.

Jeffrey

-----Original Message-----
From: Linda McInnis [mailto:mrfsealahaHOTMAIL.COM]
Sent: 27 June 2003 15:38
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Blisters

Marua,
Thanks for the info on blister piercing.  I have had good luck by simply
using a sterilized needle or safety pin, making a VERY small piercing on the
edge of the blister and just pressing all the fluid out, then covering
tightly with a bandaid.  The old skin acts as a cover until the new skin
grows underneath.  Keep it clean, moist and let it air at night or when not
walking for a period of time.

The real trouble starts when you pull the raised skin off the blister.  A
definite no-no!

Thanks also to all for the very helpful discussion on the toilet facilities,
etc.  I had been about to bring it up myself, but someone kindly beat me to
it!!

Much more enlightened!
Linda
Pueblo, CO