Guides

Alan Harris aharrisaRAVINGREENBERG.COM
Fri Jun 27 07:35:05 PDT 2003

Unsubscribe Allan M. Harris

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU]  On Behalf
Of David Hough
Sent:   Friday, June 27, 2003 9:35 AM
To:     GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject:        Re: Guides

It is true tha French helps some in Spain, but I am
certainly glad for what little Spanish I learned.
Since nobody was expecting an American in France in
April, and not many in Spain in May, I found when I
was traveling alone, and thus not giving clues by
talking to other people, it was
assumed by the French that I was Dutch and by the
Spanish that I was French.

The problem with phrase books is that if you say
something too perfectly you might likely get a too
perfect answer that you don't understand.    I did
better speaking French with Spaniards because they
tended to speak at about my level.

--- "Crawley, Jeffrey"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/languages/spanish/quickfix/index.shtml