Guides

Crawley, Jeffrey jeffrey.crawleyaFABERMAUNSELL.COM
Fri Jun 27 06:55:48 PDT 2003

As a friend of mine says: "I SPEAK perfect French, I just don't understand what they're saying back!" ;o)

a good weekend to all and happy wandering

Jeffrey

-----Original Message-----
From: David Hough [mailto:caminooakappleaYAHOO.COM]
Sent: 27 June 2003 14:35
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: Guides

It is true tha French helps some in Spain, but I am
certainly glad for what little Spanish I learned.
Since nobody was expecting an American in France in
April, and not many in Spain in May, I found when I
was traveling alone, and thus not giving clues by
talking to other people, it was
assumed by the French that I was Dutch and by the
Spanish that I was French.

The problem with phrase books is that if you say
something too perfectly you might likely get a too
perfect answer that you don't understand.    I did
better speaking French with Spaniards because they
tended to speak at about my level.