Toilet facilities

Rebekah Scott rebritesaYAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 24 14:30:58 PDT 2003

Be prepared for disillusion.
Your illusions and expectations are the first thing you lose on the camino!

An ancient pilgrim trail isn't an ideal place for fastidious people. It can get grubby out there.  Be prepared to find unpleasant messes here and there, especially in the next year, as the sometimes-sparse infrastructure is increasingly overwhelmed. (no, people dont just 'do their business' right in the street..but the cows and sheep and dogs and chickens sure do!) There are tons of fellow pilgrims who are not burdened with fastidious toilet habits, and who may use the facility before you arrive and flush 2 meters of tissue down it. Plumbing rebels. Some plumbing is less-than Western in design and execution...(I recall a particular porcelain-lined "hole in the ground" in Palais de Rei..oh my. I was reminded that this is a MEDIEVAL trail, indeed!)

Anyway, you get tougher and more flexible as you walk along. Just dont expect sparkling porcelain, and you'll be surprised at how frequently it appears anyway.
Good luck!

Rebekah Scott, journalista
'The more I learn, the less I know.'