Santiago de Compostela

Sharon Mehdi SharonMehdiaAOL.COM
Fri Jun 13 18:23:20 PDT 2003

Dear Mercedes,
How nice to receive your email!  I wish my Spanish was half as good as your
English!
What made you decide to walk the Camino?  Will you fly to Madrid from Mexico
City?  What is the date of your departure?  The first time I walked the Camino
I began in Roncesvalles on September 17.  Spain was having a terrible
heatwave and the temperatures were between 90-100 degreees F. each day for the first
three weeks.  The next year, a friend started from Roncesvalles on the same
day -- September 17 -- and Spain was having a coldwave!!  My friend had to wear
all the clothes she brought at one time!  It was also raining every day during
her whole pilgrimage and she had to buy a new sleeping bag when hers got wet.
 So, September is a very tricky month!  This time, I'm starting early in the
month -- actually the end of August.  I would rather be too hot than too cold!

I didn't do the pilgrimage in a wise way.  I read a book by Paulo Coehlo,
entitled Pilgrimage.  And as a result decided immediately that I wanted to walk
the route!  I was not prepared physically or emotionally or mentally or
spiritually.  I just KNEW I was supposed to do it and I did.  I had never backpacked
before in my life!  The longest walk I had ever taken was about 7 miles.
Three days before I left the U.S., I fractured a bone in my heel, so I walked the
whole 500 miles with a broken foot!!
But somehow, I survived.  I'm still not exactly sure how!
My best advice to you is to practice hiking as much as you can from now until
September.  Do not wear new shoes!!!  I wore old Nike's and they were great.
The people who had new, expensive hiking boots were the ones who got
blisters.
Take as little as you can!!!!  (That's the most important.)  Prepare for
heat.  If it turns cold, you can always buy a sweater or a jacket en route.  But
start out with very, very little.  Even a few ounces in your backpack will make
a big difference!  I remember having an argument with a friend on which one
of us was going to carry two extra postcards we bought!!  We even argued over
who would carry a few Band-Aids!  I know it seems ridiculous now, but soon you
will understand.
I don't want to make this email so long you will be troubled by reading it.
But if there is anything specific I can help you with, please be sure to let
me know.  It is a very exciting, wondrous adventure you are embarking on.  It
will change you forever.  It is a hero's journey.
Many blessings to you as you prepare,
Buen Camino!
Sharon Mehdi