"Mature" walking

Kerrie Littlejohn kerrielittlejohnaHOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 13 15:59:52 PDT 2003

I guess I do not qualify as a mature walker since I am barely 23, but what I was reminded of the first time I walked the camino was that it is not where you are going that is important, it is how you get there. I have met too many people in life that are so worried about where they are going they never seem to stop to enjoy the little things. You know? Now you are probably thinking what can some young girl give me advice on, but don't worry about the pace you travel, there are so many things along the way of the camino that many people don't get to enjoy because they are all wrapped up in finishing it as fast as they can or by the deadline they have set for themselves. Go at your own pace and do what your body can handle, meet new people and if you get a chance stop in Villafranca del Bierzo. There is a man who runs the refugio there named Jesus Jato, and he can help restore anyone's spirit.
Buen Camino, Kerrie
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Sally Haden
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 4:31 PM
  Subject: "Mature" walking

  I read today Sharon's message and see that "a few years ago" when she did
  the Camino she was already 59, so that makes me feel young already!  Sharon,
  have you written any books about the Camino?
  And does anyone want to share about walking the Camino as a more "mature"
  pilgrim?  I am building up my health right now, in preparation for making a
  part of the Camino in the autumn or next year I hope, but even then I can't
  see myself keeping up with those who make up the majority who I gather
  average age 30, and I fear getting miserable and depressed about getting
  left behind, or trying to keep up beyond my strength. Age is supposed to
  make one more patient and sensible, but I don't know if my personality ever
  heard of that rule!  Any comments, anyone?
  Sally