Walking staffs

Crawley, Jeffrey jeffrey.crawleyaFABERMAUNSELL.COM
Mon Jun 9 04:05:43 PDT 2003

Not necessarily essential but usually a good idea to take the load off the knees, enable you to fence like Cyrano de Bergerac, gesture airily at the scenery, knock apples and almonds out of trees and prod that snoring Pilgrim in the bunk alongside you at night.

Wooden staffs give a pleasing 'tonk' sound as they beat out the measure of your walk, fruit woods such as apple or plum can give nice straight branches of about 1 1/4" (3cms) and can be of any length from above waist height to shoulder height.  Used to be very popular in Europe, especially with German hikers, and you'll find a variety of decorative plates along the way you can nail onto your staff as a momento (usually an enamelled badge of a town or district). They're quite romantic and evocotive of Pilgrims past, too.

There are lots of places you can buy these or pick up fallen wood (please don't attack some poor Spanish farmer's orchard!) and peel th ebark off as you walk, there's a retired artisan in Rabanal who makes lovely staffs (and flutes too).

BUT they can be heavy and, depending on their length, awkward to carry when not in use (ie on the flat like the Meseta). If you are bringing it from Maine there's always the problem of air transport, a friend was devastated when her lovely rosewood handled umbrella which had served her well from SJPP to Santiago arrived home in Milan without the handle - there's a lot to be said for an umbrella, dual use in rain and shine, it will really come into its own in Santiago where you'll see more of them than in London if the weather is 'right'.  It's also quite sad to see wooden staffs abandoned, having served their purpose, in the stand provided in the foyer of the Office in Santiago.

Telescopic poles do make a more jarring metallic ring as they hit stone but can be adjusted for length (I prefer just above waist height on the climb and longer on the descent), they fold away so you can shorten it off and attach it to your pack when not needed.  They usually come as two or three sections, have an ergonomic hand grip (plastic, wooden or padded, some can be unscrewed to reveal a thread so you can turn it into a monopod for your camera) and, although they may all look alike, come in left and right handed versions - the main (sometimes only ) difference is the way the wrist loop is mounted. Your hand should go into the loop from underneath and grip the loop and handle together, there should be a wider section of strap under the fleshy part of your thumb but the shop (if any good) should know this. But they are cold, efficient and lack romance.

There is also the question of one or two poles, personally I find if I try to double pole I go much too fast (probably the result of youthful cross country skiing) so I stick with one.  I'd go for a 3 section, right handed Leki pole with the cork style grip but it's up to you.

PILGRIM ALERT! There is a charming old gentleman in Logrono called Ignacio who drives a white van and who, if you do not have a staff, will be more than happy to give you one of his creations. Unfortunately they are 2" square, shoulder height and heavy with two sturdy wooden cross pieces and, nowadays, a golden plastic crucifix attached.  Very few of these make it past Navarette - I remember counting 8 stacked up in the corner - but have been seen as far west as Ponferrada.  This is one very sweet guy so, if you don't have a staff, be prepared to accept one and promise to say hello to St James for him.  If you do ditch it be careful where that is, one Swiss girl 'hid' hers in the cyprus trees on the way out of Logrono only to have a Belgian guy bring it along to Navarette thinking it had been left in error (and that made nine).

Kind regards

Jeffrey