New Santiago equestrian statue and nature of Santiago

Eyskens jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM
Wed Jul 30 13:16:46 PDT 2003

Actually, the best mariachi band I've ever heard was in San Antonio,
Texas and had a xylophone, but no trumpets.  Tex-Mex polka is a distinct
sound, though.  Black Bart puzzles me.  I've been a devoted western fan,
books, movies, TV since age 5 at least.  Was the program on TV or a
movie serial?  Do you remember the actor? The real Black Bart was a
bandit in 1860's California who would leave a poem at the scene of his
robberies-hence 'Black Bart the Po-8' as he named himself.

Jim Eyskens

I admit the above is off the subject, but I'm curious

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU] On
Behalf Of Elizabeth Boylston-Morris
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 12:22 AM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: New Santiago equestrian statue and nature of Santiago

Los Tigres del Norte did not wear Mariachi suits nor played mariachi
music.  Their music was called, by one of them, Tex-Mex polka and it did
sound polka-like.
Unlike mariachi groups they did not have trumpets, or violins, or any of
the instruments that mariachi play.  The instruments of the Tigres were
pretty much those electrified instruments used by rock groups, plus an
accordion.
Black Bart was a character in old western stories and cowboy movies. He
always wore black, western hat and all,  and hung out in bars gating
into all sorts of adventurous trouble.
I still don't know where the group "La Oreja de VanGogh", (Van Gogh's
Ear), comes from, apparently it is a  European rock group from Spain of
some renown.