safety et al

Eyskens jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM
Wed Jul 23 13:21:26 PDT 2003

I read two books (among others) before I went off to the Camino-maybe
one of them is the one you read-'The Art of Pilgrimage' by Phil
Cousineau and 'Pilgrimage Adventures of the Spirit' edited by Sean
O'Reilly and James O'Reilly.  Both were excellent, but I agree that one
can 'over read' the Camino.  My experiences were nothing like what I had
read.

Jim Eyskens

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU] On
Behalf Of ecaldwellabcanet.org
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 1:08 AM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: safety et al

I agree that I felt very safe on the camino, as did many others.  But
one just needs to be smart, as James states.  As someone who travels a
lot, take it from me it is always smart to have someone at home have a
copy of your passport in case it is lost or stolen, and copy any other
information to help get you back on the road again.  I've even had photo
copies of my tickets back home.  It all deepends, one just has to be
smart.  I know of two attempted robberies, I think it's just reality...
you never know what can happen...and robberies happen everywhere.
Though again, I agree it is probably one of the safest places I know
of...

As for the foreign language thing...occasionally I forget about the
'reply' on the listserv really means 'reply all'.  I didn't want to fall
into the non-related-camino e-mails.  I will be more careful next time.

As for another book:
Pilgrims Stories, A Road to Santiago
I think that is the name of it.  I have looked everywhere in my house
for it, and can't find it to get the correct title.  After reading the
book I was very excited about el camino.  However, I think reading too
much can also be a hinder.  People will experience what the are going to
experience. And if you read too much, in my opinion, it can make you
expect things that aren't there, and put you in a different mind set.
It's hard to explain, I hope you understand.

Peace and buen camino,
Emily