Response to foreign language in States

Caldwell, Emily ecaldwellaBCANET.ORG
Wed Jul 23 12:09:59 PDT 2003

Please don't take this as an attack.... but I cannot resist.

First, 'all' American students are not required to study at least one other language.  Students are asked to take another language if they are applying to College.

Second, in my opinion, I taught Spanish for a couple of years at a University, and it was not taught as exercises in logic, there was a large attempt (and I'm sure other Professors would agree) to make sure our students could in fact communicate.

It hurts me to hear "Another reality is that the United States is so vast that there is no
practical need or opportunity to learn other languages."  When in reality there is a need to learn other languages.  We are a vast country and there are so many types of cultures and languages that live here.  When we have to ask for translators on CNN, we have a problem... or to say... the US has a problem.  Maybe we don't have many opportunities to learn other languages, but they are out there... and there is a need.  Though we could all go through life without a need to communicate in another language, I guess it depends on the definition of need.

Also when you state "We are bordered by only two countries and of those, one, Canada, is English speaking along the greatest part of that border.  I would have to travel about 2000 miles (3000
km) before I had any real need to speak Spanish."  Though Canada is English speaking, 23% speak French.  And "Statistics Canada says that while most people in Canada speak English or French at home, one out of every six reported having a mother tongue other than English or French."  Sure you would have to drive 2000 miles before you hit Mexico, but let me just state that in January Hispanics became the largest minority in the States, and in 2000 in 23 States, Latinos are the largest minority.  I can't say that all of them speak English, or some speak only Spanish.  Sure there might not be a 'need' for Spanish where you live, but I am in PA and there is a need here, and in SC, NC, TX... should I go on?  I'm sorry if it sounds like I am attacking you, that is not my intention... it just hurts me to see this type of message... especially for someone who has been on the camino...I would hope you would be more open to seeing the need to speak another language here in the States.

As you also stated, learning another language is a gift from God.  I was able to speak with many others on the camino with my Spanish speaking ability.  Not everyone can be lucky like you to live in a multi-lingual home.  I think you were blessed with that opportunity.  I also think that the camino is a symbol of the world we live in.  I remember setting out one morning with five other women, all of us being from different countries... but luckily spoke the same language, which happened every now and then.

Again, I don't want you to feel attacked and I'm sorry if you feel that way... but I had to give my two cents.

El camino sigue...

Emily
ecaldwellabcanet.org

-----Original Message-----
From: GC Fraser [mailto:mad.monkaCOMCAST.NET]
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 1:46 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: Sept-Oct 2003 Hotels

As a resident of the, um, "greatest" nation, I couldn't let this pass.  It
is true that many Americans speak only English, but I think that there are
other important reasons why this is so besides pride.
All American students are required to study at least one other language, I
think Spanish and French are the most common.  However, that instruction
takes place in a cultural and linguistic vacuum.  That is, there is no one
who speaks it well enough with whom there is opportunity, let alone need, to
speak in any language but English.  Secondly, foreign language courses are
taught more as exercises in logic, than as any real attempt to communicate.
Another reality is that the United States is so vast that there is no
practical need or opportunity to learn other languages.  We are bordered by
only two countries and of those, one, Canada, is English speaking along the
greatest part of that border.  I would have to travel about 2000 miles (3000
km) before I had any real need to speak Spanish.  French Canada is
relatively nearby (about 400-450 miles) (600-675 km), but most people don't
jump in the car for a quick dinner and movie at that distance.
I consider myself fortunate; I grew up in a French Canadian family in the
US.  When I was very young, my parents (and I) spoke French for my
grandmother's sake, and that has made all the difference.  I find it easy to
pick up other latin languages as needed.  I think that the ability to think
in two languages gives one a great advantage when learning others.  This is
no virtue on my part, just a gift of God and circumstance.
Fr. Gerry Fraser
madmonk_1acomcast.net