safety et al

James R Eyskens jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM
Wed Jul 23 15:43:08 PDT 2003

I think the Camino is overall the safest 500 or so miles anywhere in the
world, but that doesn't preclude you from taking basic precautions.  I met
an Australian in a plaza in Pamplona, who had had his passport and credit
cards taken from his rucksack.  When we talked firther, it seems the fellow
had dropped his pack by the plaza fountain and then wandered off to find a
beer or whatever.  His pack wasn't within his line of sight.  What
surprised me was that the thief left anything behind!

Both as a pilgrim and a Hospitalero, I noticed that pilgrims were
incredibly careless with their belongings, leaving rucksacks all over, butt
packs with credit cards and passports on tables in cafes and going to the
bathroom, or just going off to talk to friends.  I think the fact that
there is such little thievery speaks volumes aboutt the honesty of the
pilgrims and the citizens living along the camino.  I heard stories in 2001
and again in 2002 of a lone woman walker being raped, but never heard any
verifying details.  I don't know if this a 'Camino rumor' or truth.  The
incident happened at Burgos, at Leon, at Hospital de Obrigo, depending on
the teller.

As far as the subject of whether or not Americans are, or should be multi
lingual seems to be a bit far off the subject, as was the spate of criminal
justice comments a few days back.  But if this happens to be the topic of
the day, so be it.

Jim Eyskens