more on language

Maura Santangelo maurasantangeloaSTNY.RR.COM
Wed Jul 23 17:05:38 PDT 2003

I sent both of my children to live with my sister in Italy so that they
might learn Italian, they both returned feeling that there was no need
to do so as "everyone wants to practice English, so what's the point?"
what indeed?  Having said this, I once witnessed a Chinese road worker
ordering a meal in remote zone of Nepal in English.  both the waiter and
the Chinese client spoke only enough English to confuse each other.  The
client wanted sauteed vegetables on noodles  instead of rice.  the
conversation went on for at least 15 minutes, with hand gestures
pointing at the menu and additional help from another waiter, in the end
he was served vegetables on noodles over rice... so yes it helps to know
the local language, but it is not always practical as is pointed out
below.  And americans are not the only people to do poorly in foreign
languages, the Brits are not much better, Italians are much worse, only
the Dutch, ( and Danes, Swedes and Norwegians) do well, but then when
there are only about 18 mil Dutch speakers what other choice do they
have ?? (sorry Pieter).

I found the camino linguistically inspiring, it allowed me to resurrect
my knowledge of French, learn some Spanish, and even got to use italian.

Maura