restless leg syndrome

Tania taniaraGOLDEN.NET
Fri Jul 4 08:53:40 PDT 2003

Just my two cents...
I am (almost) a Nutritionist (writing final exam in two months!) and a recent
Marathoner, in my experience with running and hiking I have found that my legs
after long distances cramp up as well, usually while sitting or sleeping.  Its
amazing, no matter how fit you are - or aren't - the amount of pulling and
tearing of muscles, joints and tendons when doing something like walking -
running - especially such distances, the body needs time to heal, there is
actually a lot of small damage and you are very prone to injury after such an
event - the cells need a chance to repair themselves.   One thing I do and
have since recommended to anyone that will listen is epsom salt baths, hot
water for 20 mins, 2 cups of epsom salts, after the 20 mins be sure to rinse
off in cooler water (as you may be lightheaded), the epsom salts draw lactic
acid and other build ups in the muscles out and let the body repair itself a
little more easily.  Depending on what your diet is like you may want to look
into Glucosimine Sulfate as a supplement while you are healing - excellent at
healing tendons, joints etc.   Vitamin C is *essential* as well.  There is
lots of info on the net - and I am happy to provide any more info. on the
topic!

Tania

Quoting "Crawley, Jeffrey" <jeffrey.crawleyaFABERMAUNSELL.COM>:

> I always put that down to being constricted by short Spanish beds and
> the cramping effect it had on my knees (legs tended to end up outside
> the bunk or through the bars).  I'm 6'1" (185cms) and my bed at home had
> no frame at the feet because of this.  There was a 6' 5" Texan who had
> terrible trouble with short bunks.
>
> But is it just the left leg and, if so, why just the one? I know my
> right leg is much stronger than my left; proven when using a foot pump
> on my motorbike tires - I can only pump half as many stroke with my left
> as my right before it gets tired.
>
> Perhaps the 'equal' exercise the left leg had been receiving was causing
> previously unequally stressed muscles to complain?
>
> In a similar vein I found that on the first few days after completion
> my, bootless, feet tended to 'float' higher than necessary whenever I
> took a step, as though the leg muscles had become programmed to putting
> a certain amount of effort to lift a certain amount weight that was no
> longer there.  I literally felt 'light-footed'.

Tania

\"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an
 indomitable will.\" ~Mahatma Gandhi