cycling pilgrim

Eyskens jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM
Wed Jul 2 13:35:20 PDT 2003

Lance

I didn't bike but my partner 'Hospitalero' biked the Camino Frances and
he related that the bike and hiking trails don't run together, and in
fact from walking experience, I would say parts would be impassable for
a bike.  The Lozano guide has maps of the bike and walking trails
although since it was published in '98, I believe, there have been some
changes to both routes.

A far as I know the Spanish refugios will let you pitch a tent, if in
fact there is room.  The urban refugios, of course, don't have any
camping facilities.  I don't know about France.

Buen Camino

Jim Eyskens

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU] On
Behalf Of Lance Bermudez
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 6:01 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: cycling pilgrim

Dear All,

I'll be bicycling from Frankfurt Germany to Santiago, starting Sept. 1.
and will be going through Luxembourg, Paris, Orleans, Vezelay, St Jean,
Roncavalles, Pamplona until Santiago.  I have 2 questions:

1.  Does anyone know if a cyclist will have problems following the
hiking trail, or will the two run fairly closely most of the way?

2.  I will be taking a tent with me.  Will the refuges in France and
Spain allow me to pitch my tent there so that I don't take up much space
inside?  Trying to rough it as much as possible and not having any hot
food for the trip is part of the experience I'm trying to do.  I really
want to push myself and test myself.

Thanks for any help,

Lance ~~~

"I need so much time for doing nothing that I have no time for work."
http://www.geocities.com/becnalrio