Hi from Canada, walking alone

Tania taniaraGOLDEN.NET
Tue Jul 1 06:41:20 PDT 2003

Thanks so much for all your responses about "walking alone" and sharing your
experiences, I really appreciate it - in the short time that I posted my
message yesterday you have all inspired me to just go and do it alone, I guess
sometimes you just need that push, that spark of energy/inspiration of
others!  I am looking forward to every experience the Camino presents.

Congrats Emily on your accomplishment, sounds like a fascinating journey!

Tania

Quoting "Caldwell, Emily" <ecaldwellaBCANET.ORG>:

> Tania and anyone else wanting to walk alone,
>
> I just returned on Sunday.  I walked from Pamplona to Burgos alone.  (a
> 30 year old) My original plan was to go from Pamplona to Santiago and
> cut out the middle, but as I walked I realized I loved the camino so
> much I wanted to do all of it... so I will return and finish it in three
> years.  (I don't have enough vacation to do it all in one month)
>
> I must say the best part of my camino was doing it alone.  Every now and
> then someone would walk by that I had previously met (even those I
> hadn't met yet) and they would walk a km with me and then go on their
> way.  I personally did not feel fear at all in any part of the camino,
> but that is just me.  There was another woman from Rome who came alone
> but walked with different groups because she didn't like walking alone.
> You meet so many people along the way that if you don't want to walk
> alone, you really don't have to.  But as for me, I think it was the best
> part of the camino.  I was able to reflect and relax and not think about
> the other person I was walking with... was I walking too fast, to slow,
> if I wanted to stop for a coffee and they didn't.... walking alone was
> liberating.  And again, it also gave me a chance to talk with many
> people along the way on a one on one basis.  I think it really depends
> on the type of person you are.  I've always preferred walking alone,
> even here at home.
>
> It's always good to prepare in advance, but nothing can ever prepare you
> for what you are about to experience.  It is a different world, a
> different realm and a different reality.  If you are planning to go and
> have a lot of vacation time don't plan an end date (if this is
> possible).  As soon as I decided that I was going to stop in Burgos and
> not have to be to Santiago on a certain day, everything changed and the
> stress went away.  But I also know the reality of things and that can't
> be possible all the time.  I met many people who were doing it in
> sections, and many who were doing the whole thing.  As always, it
> depended on the person.
>
> I could write all day about my experience and the camino.  But if you
> haven't walked it, it is hard to describe.  If you have any questions
> please feel free to contact me at anytime.
>
> Good luck,
> Emily

Tania

\"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an
 indomitable will.\" ~Mahatma Gandhi