Hi from Canada, walking alone

Caldwell, Emily ecaldwellaBCANET.ORG
Tue Jul 1 06:29:38 PDT 2003

Tania and anyone else wanting to walk alone,

I just returned on Sunday.  I walked from Pamplona to Burgos alone.  (a 30 year old) My original plan was to go from Pamplona to Santiago and cut out the middle, but as I walked I realized I loved the camino so much I wanted to do all of it... so I will return and finish it in three years.  (I don't have enough vacation to do it all in one month)

I must say the best part of my camino was doing it alone.  Every now and then someone would walk by that I had previously met (even those I hadn't met yet) and they would walk a km with me and then go on their way.  I personally did not feel fear at all in any part of the camino, but that is just me.  There was another woman from Rome who came alone but walked with different groups because she didn't like walking alone.  You meet so many people along the way that if you don't want to walk alone, you really don't have to.  But as for me, I think it was the best part of the camino.  I was able to reflect and relax and not think about the other person I was walking with... was I walking too fast, to slow, if I wanted to stop for a coffee and they didn't.... walking alone was liberating.  And again, it also gave me a chance to talk with many people along the way on a one on one basis.  I think it really depends on the type of person you are.  I've always preferred walking alone, even here at home.

It's always good to prepare in advance, but nothing can ever prepare you for what you are about to experience.  It is a different world, a different realm and a different reality.  If you are planning to go and have a lot of vacation time don't plan an end date (if this is possible).  As soon as I decided that I was going to stop in Burgos and not have to be to Santiago on a certain day, everything changed and the stress went away.  But I also know the reality of things and that can't be possible all the time.  I met many people who were doing it in sections, and many who were doing the whole thing.  As always, it depended on the person.

I could write all day about my experience and the camino.  But if you haven't walked it, it is hard to describe.  If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at anytime.

Good luck,
Emily

-----Original Message-----
From: Tania A. Robson [mailto:taniaraGOLDEN.NET]
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 11:43 AM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Hi from Canada

Hi there

My name is Tania, I am 29 years old - married, with a cat. I live in Ontario, Canada and I am planning to hike the Camino in May 2004.  I am planning my trip well in advance, I have known for three years this is something that I must do, its a deep spiritual calling and the physical challenge appeals to me very much.  Physically I am prepared, mentally I am working on that.

My biggest concern is going alone, the two people I have talked to in my city that I have done it assure me there will be lots of people I will meet on the journey - I have travelled since I was 13 on my own to and from Europe however this will be the longest hike alone that I will have started and hopefully finish on my own. I am so excited and filled with so anticipation, its a quiet knowing that I will do this.  Looking forward to hearing from others that have done it, planning on doing it and where and when you will be starting etc.

Thanks!
Tania