Anti-American sentiment

Sofia Wahlstedt sofia_wahlstedtaHOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 25 07:56:54 PST 2003

In a way I don't want to talk politics on this mailing list, but I feel I would like to reply to the last few postings on the subject. I am aware that not everyone will agree with this post, but my intention is not to be provocative.

I can't say anything about the situation in Spain, but in here Sweden there is a very heated discussion on how to handle the current situation. The opposition against the US politics is growing stronger, and a lot of people who normally support the USA are condemning a US attack on Iraq. There is a spreading anger when it comes to president Bush and some people feel that he acts as ' the world police', telling everyone what to do while the USA itself is failing to follow international rules. This is not a new opinion in any way, but now it's not only left-wing voices that are heard saying this, and that's a bit unusual. There are still alot of people who agree with the US politics though.

That's the situation on one level. At the same time, these anti-American sentiments are normally not directed toward indiviual North Americans. In Sweden there is a strong emphasises on the individual, and the individual is clearly separated from the state. This means that US citisens visiting Sweden might get into discussions on political issues, but in the end they are seen as individuals that you might (or might not) get along with, just like everyone else. I think this is would be the case in Spain too, most people will be welcoming and treat you friendly, unless you give them reason to act in another way.

As to the experience of M Parker, I absolutely understand that it must've been unpleasant to be around that young German. But I guess that one might run into people like this anywhere. Every country has it's share of people who, for one reason or another, are intolerant when it comes to other people. These people can be found on a pilgrimage as well as on another holiday location, or in your local food store.

Of course, when it comes to sefety I'm not saying that it's safe to travel everywhere, I would recommend everyone to listen to the advises given by your country's government. But I would also recommend everyone not to focus too much on the dangers of travelling abroad, as this will only make you scared and not able to trust the people that you meet. After all, I believe that the world would be a happier and more peaceful place if people from different cultures could meet and learn to understand and respect one another...

Happy travelling!
Sofia

Ps, I would also like to thank Jeffrey Crawley and Margaret LaCugna for answering to my questions, on pictures and the Prestige accident.