Anti-American sentiment

M Parker MGParkeraAOL.COM
Sat Jan 25 09:06:22 PST 2003

Sofia,  Yes,  there ARE unpleasant people everywhere. Where I live is no
exception.

It's just that I was OUT there, by myself and trusting in the goodness of
people on the Camino.  I chose not to travel with any group or did not
gravitate to Americans for security and therefore felt somewhat vulnerable.
This young man was just an extremely unhappy person, and venting was a habit
for him.  I was warned about him before I even met him,  because he was so
well known for spreading ill will toward Americans.

In all,  I felt safer and more accepted on the Camino than any other public
place.....in  Europe or in the US, for that matter.   The Spanish who live
along the Camino could not have been more cordial. I grew VERY fond of many
of the pilgrims I met and I continue to correspond with several of them.  A
few,  I expect to have long term friendships with.
Marianne