Anti-American sentiment

M Parker MGParkeraAOL.COM
Sat Jan 25 05:35:12 PST 2003

I can personally speak to the question of Anti-American sentiment on the
Camino, having returned in Oct. from my (solo) walk. I have been trying to
decide whether or not to bring this up,  but seeing the questions on
traveling in a time of political unrest, I want to report my experience.

I found generally polite and open pilgrims with some exceptions.  There were
several people who insisted on criticizing our president.  No matter what I
said,  they are opinionated by the press they receive...not wanting to hear
what I had to say.

Some of the simpler people cannot understand the political complexities of
our country.  For example,  one man insisted that George Bush "likes to kill
people"  because he supported the death penalty as state governor.  Nothing I
could say would have made any difference in this man's opinion.

Secondly,  I did encounter one extremely angry young German man.  He was on
such an anti-American tirade, I questioned that it might be is main motive as
a pilgrim.  It looked like a soap box tour to me.  I traveled with him for a
few days (unintentionally) and found him most aggressively vicious.
Evidently he had had an unfortunate experience traveling in the US and was
taking out his vengeance demonizing every American.  "All Americans
are....(this)"  and "All Americans...that".

It was particularly vexing as I would have thought him too intelligent to
rant and rave making such generalizations.  Most people,  even angry ones
would not say  "All Germans this and All Germans that."     Maybe some
countries are a bit more homogenous,  but surely it is known that the USA is
NOT.

One of his (many) accusations was that we are ALL warmongers.  EXCUSE ME!?!
Wasn't it GERMANY the aggressor W.W.I and W.W.II?  He went on and on over
several days to the point that it was very unpleasant for me. I tried to talk
to him gently and to help in some way diffuse his anger,  but 'no way'.

Finally,  I bussed ahead of him a couple of days and had a wonderful journey
from then on.  However,  he DID sour my experience and I regret to think that
there are others who may feel that way,  but were kind in spite of it.  Later
I met some absolutey LOVELY Germans who were wonderful to me.

In general,  people are very polite and personable.  Political opinions are
not for The Camino,  and hopefully,  anger should be checked,  like firearms,
 at the door.  In a perfect world.........
BTW,  above all,  my favorite people on the Camino were the Basques!
Marianne