The Rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain

David Gibson dbgaDNA.IE
Sat Jan 11 09:47:22 PST 2003

Phil,

I would not dream of a poncho.  I walked for an hour in torrential rain from Villasirga to Carrion de los Condes and found my walking boots filled with water that dripped down my legs.  It took a day to dry out the boots.  Having waterproof jacket and leggings is much better.  You can get ones that breathe.  Worth the cost!

Buen camino!

David

ps I have written a book on the camino,  Walking in my Shadow.  Available from me at ?20 with ?8 cost of postage.  Colour photos and maps.  Not for carrying on the camino but for enjoying the camino from the couch!

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: name: Philip J. Judd
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2003 4:48 PM
  Subject: The Rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain

  I am going to do the camino from Pamplona, starting April 28th. From what I have gleaned from e-mails is this is a good time to go in terms of not being difficult to find accomodatons...definitely be prepared for cold mornings(bring gloves) and much else, for which I am very grateful. However I still am wondering about rain gear. Intially I intended to be thinking a poncho that covers me and my back pack, then LLBean staff tried to stear me towards "rain suit"...I definitely don't like hot but LLBean staff said rainsuit will keep water out of my boots(good idea)...so what is the experience out there in dealing with the rain in Spain, particularly on the meseta. Phil Judd