What to bring and what not to

Jen Mann Jenmann00aCS.COM
Sat Jan 4 08:07:25 PST 2003

When I did the Camino, this past year, I was one of the few people that had
to buy things because I didn't come with enough.  I also wish that I had
brought more things but at that point I just did without.

I walked April - May and didn't bring gloves.  Gloves are essential.  In the
morning it was freezing but come the afternoon it's really hot.  I ended
wearing socks on my hands until I had a chance to buy gloves.  Also I had to
get a toe-nail clipper.  I had brought only two outfits to change into and
realized that three would have been better.  There were times when it rained
and clothes were not dry.  Not the biggest deal to wear the same pants two
days in a row but it would have been nice to have had another pair.  I
brought shampoo and laundry detergent and happily shared with those who had
the one bar of soap does everything who felt their hair was turning to straw
with it.  You can make smaller  bottles and toss when done with.  Shampoo
swas something I found essential.  Also it rained so much my little poncho
barely made it out of there.  In retrospect I wish I had taken more rain
gear.   Check your weather carefully.

What I never used - a compass.   And I barely used my journal.  Bring a small
book to write in.  There was so much going on, there was hardly motivation to
sit down and write observations about the things you were so greatly a part
of.   You can do that when you return.

JM