What to bring and what not to

dandekay dandekayaSBCGLOBAL.NET
Sat Jan 4 08:45:32 PST 2003

A JOURNAL!  I wrote everyday, as did many people, and now several months after returning find that my journal is one of my prized possessions (you know, if the house was on fire, what would you grab?)....  It reminds me of details that I would otherwise never recall; it is a repository of addresses and places, meals and experiences.  Invaluable.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jen Mann
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 8:07 AM
  Subject: What to bring and what not to

  When I did the Camino, this past year, I was one of the few people that had to buy things because I didn't come with enough.  I also wish that I had brought more things but at that point I just did without.

  I walked April - May and didn't bring gloves.  Gloves are essential.  In the morning it was freezing but come the afternoon it's really hot.  I ended wearing socks on my hands until I had a chance to buy gloves.  Also I had to get a toe-nail clipper.  I had brought only two outfits to change into and realized that three would have been better.  There were times when it rained and clothes were not dry.  Not the biggest deal to wear the same pants two days in a row but it would have been nice to have had another pair.  I brought shampoo and laundry detergent and happily shared with those who had the one bar of soap does everything who felt their hair was turning to straw with it.  You can make smaller  bottles and toss when done with.  Shampoo swas something I found essential.  Also it rained so much my little poncho barely made it out of there.  In retrospect I wish I had taken more rain gear.   Ch! eck your weather carefully.

  What I never used - a compass.   And I barely used my journal.  Bring a small book to write in.  There was so much going on, there was hardly motivation to sit down and write observations about the things you were so greatly a part of.   You can do that when you return.

  JM