Michael P. Barham mpb5aDUKE.EDU
Thu Feb 27 14:44:47 PST 2003

Douglas, et al...
(sorry if this is too long, but I rarely write the list, so I have to "make
up" hahahah)

If you only want it to be a party, hmmmm......

that's obviously for you to decide.  My point was there is a type of joy and
celebration only be experienced in the Meseta, and I encourage everyone to
sample that part of the trail if they even decide they don't want to do the
whole part.

I was also, perhaps too hastily,accusing people of disliking the Meseta
because, rather than being boring, it is a place of inner awareness that can
be jolting.

I will say many people go to the camino thinking it is about "pan y vino"
only to discover something deep within them, to which they had not listened.
Avoiding the Meseta will not necessarily mean escaping that call from
within.

It just means you lose a little part of "THE" camino experience.

If you were a close friend and asked my opinion, I would suggest you be open
to the possibility the pilgrimage be more than just a party (I am NOT at all
against joy or fun, but desire them).  I always think of the famous quote
used in Dead Poet Society (by Thoreau, right?)...

I wished to live deep...

Be open to the possibility that joy can occur in every fabulous experience
you have along the way, inlcuding the blisters.

Many of us take life too seriously and need a little party every now and
then (I give due thanks here for clowns), but that doesn't mean it can't be
lived deeply at the same time.

Being in the mesata wasn't all "dark night of the soul" (Thanks Spanish St.
John of the Cross), it was also quite joyful -- as Volz said, the
wildflowers are incredible -- I counted so many flowers I got lost in them.

A differenttype of pilgrims sticks to the whole thing (I am not implying
they are better or "real", so please don't misread that as I realize not
everyone has the same amount of time I enjoyed).

The wine was incredible in some parts of the meseta, as I recall.... and
some of the most delightful parties I had with other pilgrims were in the
heart of the mesata.  In fact, as I was re-reading my journal a few weeks
ago I realized it was in the mesata that I discovered what I wanted to do
with my life (and since telling people I have been told I am rediculous, but
"audacios"), which basically stems from the discovery of joy and celebration
I had on the camino.

It also made O Cebreiro that much more O Cebreiro.

Oh well, I won't go on an on.  It is enough to say that some people will
decide not to do the Meseta.  Some will HATE it while they are there.
Others will love it.  I recommend people give it a try before skipping it -
otherwise they will never KNOW FOR THEMSELVES.

Peace,
Michael B