Vulgarities-Rossina #1

Xosé Manuel Alvariño AlvaxmaAOL.COM
Sun Feb 23 10:39:35 PST 2003

Rossina, It is never my intent to be offensive in anything I may do or say,
even by omission, to anyone. I am, truly, sorry that you have taken offense
to this part of the dialogue at hand.

Here are some thoughts I'd like to share:

Everyone has the right to express their opinion. I respect that. Here's mine.

Let it be clear that I abhor, nah, let me say turned off, by vulgarity in
general, thought of as elitist/arrogant, by friends and foe.

It seems to me that one should not take issue about offense by being
offensive ("disclosing a lack of "education" in the speaker, etc."), which I
may/may not choose to interpret as offensive. What I, and others, may think
of as offensive, others may not even consider the slightest possibility that
what they say may  be interpreted negatively, particularly when taken out of
context. Rossina, objections regarding  issues one may disagree with, because
of whatever culture, T &E, value system, world view, et al,  one has, should
be expressed in another way from that with which we may take issue with,
without imposing them on others (these days, in my old age, it's becoming
easier not to be as judgemental I once was).

Ignoring what one thinks as objectionable, is always an alternative.

Words, in any language, are not "good" or "bad."  They are what they are,
words. It is the meaning and/or how we individually/collectively give to
them, that makes them one, the other, or none, rather than the words
themselves. And, Rossina, even the "bad" ones become so because of some
historic parallel  (the expression, "casa del carajo," to illustrate, was
originally used to refer to  the top of a ship's mastil. In time it became
something else. Languages are in continuous evolution. That, I find
interesting.

BTW: my credentials include having been born and raised in Latin America and
Spain (Galicia, to be precise). I won't get into my socia/civil/academic
strata, they should be obvious.