Heavy Boots protect feet and ankle

Richard Ferguson peregrinoaATT.NET
Sun Feb 16 21:26:20 PST 2003

I suggest that anyone with a history of ankle trouble should wear the heaviest
boot that they can stand.  If on your first attempt, your ankle and feet gave you
serious trouble, you should look at much heavier boots, maybe twice as heavy.
More weight equals more ankle and foot support.

I walked 200 miles with my heavy leather mountaineering boots, weight about 6
pounds (almost 3kg) per pair.  I fretted and worried about what kind of boots to
take, and finally took the pair of boots that I had the most confidence in, the
pair that I use when mountain climbing or hiking with a heavy pack.  I also took
my best walking shoes, and walked the first two days in them, mostly on roads.
My feet got very sore after a couple of days, no blisters or anything, just sore
from lack of support. I switched to my hiking boots for the rest of the trip.  My
feet held up fine, and it was several days before I had to start taping sensitive
spots.   I am 50 years old with a bad ankle.

I know that I have a minority view.  One of the refuges had people leave their
boots on the rack.  Mine were the heaviest on the rack by far, maybe the heaviest
on the camino.  However, not all the camino sections are good walking.  I think
that I made the right decision.

Leather boots are best, allow time to break them in.

Richard

Hi all,
    I have a question that everyone is probably getting sick of... but here it
  goes anyway.  In Sept 2001 I made it as far as Leon.  I sprained my ankle
  and fractured my foot.  Thus I had to end my journey at this point.  I am
  heading back in June to head off from Leon.  I will be doing a field school
  with the university before that and therefore won't be lugging my hiking
  boots around.  Does anyone think it is reasonable to make the last 300k with
  light hikers?  I am just wondering if the trails in Galicia are a little
  less rugged, or a little more rugged than the first 460km?  Thank you all
  for you patience and advice, as I know the shoe thing is asked a lot on the
  listserv.

    Jennifer Bruce