From Leon

Jeffrey Crawley jeffrey.crawleyaFABERMAUNSELL.COM
Thu Feb 13 00:53:56 PST 2003

Jennifer,

Although the going is pretty well on graded tracks for a lot of the way
from Leon (some even on busy highway) you still have to climb up to
Astorga/Ferro Cruz and (literally above all as I believe it's the highest
point on the Camino - stand by ready to be corrected) O'Cebriero.

I liken the first part of this latter climb (soon after Hospital Inges) to
a dried out river bed of smooth stones forever going upwards (except it
poured down that day!), there's even a false summit where you think you've
got to the top . . .

Personally I'd rather do this section in ankle boots but saw others doing
it in hiking sandles and even Reebox's!

After O'C I don't remember it being especially rough but it certainly isn't
all downhill from there.

Hope this helps,

Jeffrey