Greetings From Mel

Melissa Starr mstarrboiseaYAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 5 08:56:57 PST 2003

Greeting to Linda, Sarah, Mark from Louisiana, and others with Qs & As:
Thank you for writing.  I appreciate the salutations and good advice.  I had no idea that there were so many people interested in something that I want to do! I didn't introduce myself, except to ask questions--mostly because (until now) I find few people with similar interests.
I'm an adventurous introvert--a seeker.  While the status-quo vacation may be an escape for some, it isn't to me. I dislike tourist traps and facades.  I want to see what is behind the scenes and be able to hear (and linger with) my reaction to it.  I have a hard time finding people who find satisfaction without overt entertainment, or who are dissatisfied with things that are meant to be entertaining.
This is the first time in my life that I will have an opportunity to go off alone.  I had been married for 17 years until my divorce about five years ago. My 3 daughters are grown, for the most part.  Last October I celebrated my 40th birthday, which was a  quiet time to take stock of where I am in life and where I want to go.  I'm a junior Social Work major minoring in Women's Studies, Gerontology, and Dispute Resolution (mediation).  I was going after a Sociology degree when I didn't know what to do with people other than study them.  As I studied them, my desire to intervene became very apparent--especially in my dreams, when I hear most clearly.
Anyway, I have been so busy for so long, and have a plane ticket that expires if not used by May 19 of this year.  I know that this is the time to go, and that to focus will be the best use of the time and money. I'll leave Boise on the 17th, but this depends on the when the best airline pricing is available.  Has to be United, since it's a trade.

I'd love to get an idea of how many of you plan to go for the first time in the future, compared to the percentage of you who have already gone--and what were the highlights for you?

Thanks,

Melissa