Greetings From Mel

Carlos Mentley mentleyaERSKINE.EDU
Wed Feb 5 10:11:12 PST 2003

Hello, Melissa.  In partial response ...

Eleven students and I just finished walking from Roncesvalles to
Santiago; we left the States on December 26, started walking on the
morning of the 29th, walked into Santiago on the night of January 25th,
and returned to the States on the 29th.  It was the first time on the
Camino for all of us.

I am sure that each of us would pick a different set of highlights.
Mine is topped by the entrance into the Plaza del Obradoiro on Saturday
night.  Of all the ways to complete the walk, I could not have asked for
one better.  Other highlights, in no particular order, include walking
on the meseta in frozen sunshine; snowy mornings walking out of
Villafranca Montes de Oca and O Cebreiro; Nájera; the cathedral in León;
Rabanal; the food, everywhere; the incredible degree of accommodation
extended to us by the people we came into contact with: Pablito in
Azqueta, the Jato family in Villafranca del Bierzo, Anya at the albergue
in Grañón, the owner of the bar at Alto del Poyo who built a fire for us
to warm up and dry off a little, to name just a few; seeing the
students' determination to continue walking even when they should have
taken a day or two off to heal blisters and rest sprains and bruises and
inflamations.  And more and more and more.

I still do not have the words to describe much of the experience; I
suppose they will come with time and reflection.

I wish you the best in your preparations and I hope to hear about your
experiences when you return.

--Carlos Mentley