Usage guidelines for GOCAMINO

Rebecca Belchamber bellgreeaALPHALINK.COM.AU
Sat Feb 1 22:05:11 PST 2003

Dear Camino Friends,

I have been absent from my computer for a week and have been trying to catch up with the recent postings.  I usually read (skim) the messages, devouring all those hints and insights so generously offered. As I plan to do a section of the walk this May, I was particularly interested to see reference to Travelling During Political Unrest. However, I was dismayed to see this Listserve turn into a soapbox for people to air their political views or take others to task for doing so. This is not because I feel political discussion should be avoided (Becci Robbins) but I feel, along with Xose Manuel, that the Listserve is for Camino related issues.

So I welcome Megan's suggestion of a facilitator for this on-line group. This goes beyond the recent deviation from what I see to be the purpose of the Listserve. There are a few ways that the postings could be made more interesting, relevant and accessible.

For instance, when I read several responses to a topic, it is annoying to wade through the original each time. Especially when it includes the computer instructions (e.g. <blockquote type="CITE" style="border-left-width: 2px;).

So, I hunted up an e-mail I received on joining the group. Called 'Usage guidelines for GOCAMINO', it might help with some issues.

SUBJECT MATTER  - Discussion of all topics and aspects of the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela as a cultural phenomenon from the Middle Ages to the present.

GOCAMINO or personal posting?

Please reduce unnecessary comments, personal queries by addressing them to the specific individual(s). In short, . If it's a private comment, then it's a private e-mail. That means the "thank-you's" and the "I agree completely" messages should go directly to the individual.

 SUBJECT LINE  - A good subject line heading will mean that you can - and should - delete from your own e-mail the majority of the message you are replying to. Please do so.

I hope these pointers are a help. Finally, in the interests of replying correctly, I am aware that when I hit 'reply' I respond to the collection of messages for that day. Shouldn't I be replying to a specific message, where I can then delete the original? Could someone please clarify this (Linda)?

Sorry if some of these issues have been resolved already - I have not caught up with ALL the postings. Best wishes to all,

From

Rebecca Belchamber

Melbourne, Australia.