More love; less hate.

Ed ed_maddenaLINEONE.NET
Sun Dec 28 05:18:18 PST 2003

I believe in freedom of thought, freedom of speech, freedom of belief as
well as freedom to express and disseminate my views on these matters
whatever they are.   I also hold that everyone else must be allowed to do
the same; but it is vital to accept that is no excuse for downright
rudeness, disrespect or hatred to each other.  After all, we are taught that
we must love our enemies.

The consequence of this is that my views may be abhorrent to others; and
likewise theirs may be absolutely and utterly objectionable to me.  Even so,
the basic freedoms above must be vigourously defended and preserved unless
we want to live in some kind of Orwellian world where the Thought Police are
the masters.

But that this is not what I always come across on this List.  I find it
especially unacceptable when so-called liberal, holier-than-thou do-gooders
who think they have right on their side,  try and suppress these freedoms
because they do not like what they hear.  Rather than vilifying, pouring
scorn and derision on their opponents, physically or mentally attacking
them,  imprisoning or isolating them  in an effort to ban or block their
views, I think it essential to accept that other views and opinions (however
objectionable)  must not in any way be censored and that, if I don't like
them, then I must meet these head-on with strong counter-argument.

It's incredible and appalling that this List, dedicated to those seeking
closer union with God and looking for love and compassion among their fellow
Man though the Camino pilgrimage, should sometimes descend into vicious
personal attacks on each other.  Thank God though that this is rare.  But it
shouldn't really happen at all.

Peace and Love,
Ed

---