Vezelay to Compostella

Kathy Gower kathygoweraHOTMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 29 08:57:14 PST 2003

Dear Phillipe,

Hurray for you, undertaking the Camino in 2004.  By now you must know there
is no direct route from Vezelay to LePuy.  They are two separate pilgrimage
routes on two separate GRs in France.  There is a way via train and bus to
LePuy, but I doubt you will find refugios over this stretch of mountains and
valleys.

Between Le Puy and Roncessvalles there are many, incredible refugios along
the GR65.  Most are new and have smaller rooms with bunkbeds instead of the
huge dormitory rooms of the Spanish Camino.  When I was there in September,
the average refugio was about 8-13 Euros, for good clean facilities with
lots of hot water.  This may change in the holy year as the influx of
pilgrims may strain the resources of these tiny towns along the Via
Podenais.  Well, it is a pilgrimage, after all, and one takes what is given
to them.  There are also small albergues and hostels for more money.  In
Spain, the refugios seem quite plentiful, are dormitory like for the most
part (but not al!) and are generaly less expensive.

Your packing list seems complete, but perhaps with too many shirts.  You
will be washing your clothes and there is always a pharmacia with the green
cross fairly nearby in the towns.  We are not travelling through third world
or undeveloped countries as has been pointed out time and again.

The French section, at least from LePuy to Conques is more strenuous than
any I walked in Spain--a lot of ups and downs in spectacular areas, so well
worth the walking.  Hundreds of thousands of people do it, so don't fear it.

Buen Camino however you choose to undertake it!