Via de La Plata Questions

Richard Ferguson peregrinoaATT.NET
Sat Dec 27 08:01:31 PST 2003

For Dennis Cooney or anyone familiar with Via de la Plata:

As someone who does not like crowds, I have an interest in the alternate routes to Santiago.
It sounds like the Via de la Plata is being improved with markers, etc.  I was wondering about
accomodations.  Are there adequate refugios?  What is the typical refugio spacing?  Are there
other options for accomodations?  My experience is that 20 km per day is comfortable for me,
and that I suffer if I go further than 25 km in a day, usually the day after.

I would really like to walk from Vezelay in France, but I understand that there are not places to
stay at adequate spacing for a walking pace.  I assume that it could be biked, as you could
always bike an extra 15 or 20 km if you needed to get to a town with a pension, or even detour
off route if needed to find a place to stay.

Richard