Now: the ranting of a sad, sad old man.

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Sat Dec 27 06:11:28 PST 2003

Hello you all:
I guess one can only avoid receiving messages so far.  My fervent hope for the New Year is that people will not repost messages.
I blocked Howard Mendes messages a long time ago. Shortly after the devastating events on Sptember 11, which happened on my backyard, so to speak.  In the midst of an emotional upheaval I wrote a message relating how I, together with my church group, had gone on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem and Betlehem that summer and had been shocked and upset witnessing the inhuman and cruel way in which the Palestinians were treated by the Israelis, and had wondered when and how we would be made to pay for such brutality as aiders and abetters.
Howard <mendes sent me a series of messages so vile and threatening that I considered taking legal action.  Other members of this list who had expressed views somewhat akin to mine told me that they, too, had received horrible messages from said <howard.
In fact, there was a list member from Scotland, also called Howard, that thenceforth insisted that he not be confused with the <mendes one.
I programmed my computer to reject any messages from him, but it doesnt do much good if other list members attache them to their own messages.
Is that absolutely necessary?  Can we just, PLEASE, write for ourselves and not forward other messages?  PLEASE!!!!

I am right now in Rome after spending Christmas in Assisi.  The experience was so overwhelmingly beautiful and touching that I really dont feel like going to Santiago for the opening of the Holy Door anymore.  I just want peace and quiet, shepherd-like.  But people went through so much trouble to get me tickets and accomodations, etc., that I guess I have to go.  I ll leeave here Monday morning, the 29th, and will stay there until January 2nd. I will then come back to Rome to roam around Italy for the rest of January, as I have done for many years except this one since I had all those fractures and couldnt go anywhere.
-So, Paolo and Gabriella, Italian pilgrims from Milan, I will be delighted to get in touch with you when I am there. Perhaps we can go together to visit Verdi s grave in the Casa dei Musici- Please send me your phone number in another direct message.
It is very, very cold here... but Rome is Rome and who cares about the weather.  Mary McGrory wrote several times that you cannot get a bad meal in Rome.... So true! Yesterday, December 26, was (another) official holiday in Italy.  It is Santo Stefano s (St. Steven s) day and he is remembered for being the first Christian martyr (he was stoned to death in the outskirts of Jerusalem for his beliefs), I had no idea that there is such abservance here.
Ever since I learned that St. Andrew (Peter s brother and the first Apostle) was executed by an irate husband for cham pioning the right of women to say NO, I have become fond of him.  I know that he is the patron saint of Scotland; well, walking down XX Settembre Avenue, after a divine lunch, I saw a church called The Scottish Church of Saint Andrew in Rome, and, naturally, walked in ..... right into an AA meeting!
Oh well... Rome is rome.
By the way, an aide to the Franciscan Abbot in Assisi offered to show me some ancient documents poertaining to Saint Francis pilgrimage to Santiago.  As soon as I return from Compostela I am going back to Assisi to meet with him.
Well.... here s hoping that neither the Soipranos nor Sex and the City will resume until I get back  (and if they start before, please don t tell me).
I can t manage this computer; it has different keys, etc.
But I will post a message from Santiago and tell you how goes it.
Have a wonderful New Year.  Let us do pray that Good Will make its way into everyone s heart, regardless of gender, creed, race or nationality, so that we may nurture Peace.

Rosina