Fw: Via de la Plata

Dennis Cooney cooneyaVALIS.CA
Wed Dec 24 15:28:22 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: Dennis Cooney
To: athena
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2003 3:14 PM
Subject: Re: Via de la Plata

I walked from Seville to Salamanca in October this year and will be back in Salamanca on March 21 to finish the journey.  I found the route extremely well marked and the Spanish government is doing extensive work on the Camino to improve it.  Most noticeably, they are placing large 2 ft. x 2 ft  granite way markers everywhere there could be a  be a question on which way the Camino may go.  Unfortunately, they are being placed by government workers who do not understand that the marker should be after the path divides, not before.  But this is minor as you can generally figure out which direction the Camino follows.  The two basics I would recommend is the Guia del Camino Mozarabe de Santiago which is available from the Friends of the Camino in Seville, and Alison Raju's book Via de la Plata, the Cicerone guide.  The Guia has the very best maps and Alison has the very best description and directions, especially for getting into and out of towns.  The other recommendation that I would make is while visiting the Friends of the Camino in Seville pick up and use their passport.  As strange as this may seem, other passports or Credencials are not accepted in some refugios.  My friend from Paris had a French Credencial and had to pay 12 Euros while I had the Spanish version and slept for free with just a donation, if I wished.
  Dennis Cooney
  Vancouver, Canada