American Denial Nonsense

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Wed Dec 24 12:17:35 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/23/2003 11:32:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, rspengeraEARTHLINK.NET writes:

> The worst thing is to say you're from "America,"
> although most Americans use just that word when inside
> the U.S.
Could not disagree more.  I was in Spain for a month last June/July and had no problem whatsoever saying that I was from America. Right now I'm in New Zealand and the same applies here.

I do get questions about what Americans think of Bush and his politics, how much support he has, etc. but have never had any reason to conceal where I come from and find the term "American" universally understood and accepted.  I get many questions still on the impact of 9/11 on NYC.

Politics aside, American culture (for better or worse)is pervasive and generally admired especially among young people.
Howard Mendes, NYC now in Taupo, NZ