Suffering = Knowledge?

Maura Santangelo maurasantangeloaSTNY.RR.COM
Tue Dec 16 07:52:31 PST 2003

Dear all,

I see that a few comments on suffering and expectations are still
trickling in.  I am impressed by the thoughtful replies which the
thread has generated.  Not surprising I suppose.  After all there is a
religion totally based on the reality of suffering.  Buddha developed a
whole philosophy around the notion of suffering, it is the first of the
4 noble truths, the truth of suffering.  Of the inevitability of
suffering simply because we are born and are impermanent and we never
get what we want, or we lose what we have, or we get what we do not
want.  But the other 3 noble truths also add that there is an end to
suffering, that suffering is self inflicted by desire and hatred and
indifference, and that there is a path to non suffering.  We suffer
because of our expectations, Pieter is quite right about that.

IN this thread we are talking about two different kinds of suffering:
the inevitable that comes out of living and not accepting what life
puts in our way and the gratuitous suffering, the purposely inflicted
suffering based on the idea that by punishing ourselves we become
'better' human beings.  Self inflicted suffering is not ennobling, it
may actually be dehumanizing.  How you can develop compassion toward
fellow humans if you have no compassion toward yourself?  It is
interesting to me how many Western buddhists have difficulty with this
notion.  The Dalai Lama is reported to be quite surprised by the idea
of low self esteem Westerners seem to have, but indeed many of us did
grow up with this idea that we can only make ourselves good by
punishing ourselves in some way.  It is this kind of suffering that
Mary Oliver's poem spoke to so eloquently.

Maura