(To Galen) re Presentations / Writing

Sally Haden hadense1948aHOTMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 8 03:10:25 PST 2003

Hi Galen
I am sure there must be other people on this list who can offer support for
doing presentations.  I don't have any direct experience myself of Camino
presentations but I do know that people like, as Sue said, to get close to
the actual feel/reality of something like your pilgrimage.  It sounds good,
like Sue said, to take your boots, stick, etc., and so to tell them your
personal stories... name names...etc!  There's enough artificial stuff on TV
to fill anyone's appetite for academic travel.

When I used to teach Taoist philosophy (mostly through practical aspects
like cooking, health) it was my personal experiences that people related to,
and their own sharing that helped them...of their stories of their personal
translation of the philosophy ... quite far from the dry 'texts'.  Little
catch phrases, small emblems or symbols, a joke, an incident from history, a
photo...  Be pragmatic. be practical, be straightforward. When you speak to
people, remember they are essentially just like you, like everyone, with a
heart that wants to be free and happy.  Human needs are quite simple.
Simplicity is the best way.  And life is short, brief.  Convey the essence
and show them what inspired you.

About another email you sent me, with an attachment, I have emailed you
direct to your address to answer it, but it keeps coming back with a
'failed' message. Perhaps your inbox is full, so I will try again later.

Peace to all
Sally