Tips for a Camino Presentation

Sue Kenney sue.kenneyaSYMPATICO.CA
Wed Dec 3 17:26:50 PST 2003

Tom Gabriele wrote:

Sue..I have been asked to share my Camino.Time permitting, would you
share some of your helpful thoughts? thanks

Tom and others,

These are only my suggestions about what worked for me as I developed my
presentation on the Camino experience. I called it "29 days to
Surrender" or "My Camino".

1. Know your audience. Arrive early and talk to people. Before the
event, work on "your story" and be able to say it in 30 words or less.
Don't be concerned about telling everything, just give enough
information so they will ask more questions. Remember that people see
you as someone on a pedestal.

4. Take props: people love to see your backpack, worn boots, walking
stick, maps, etc.

5. I started off with a power point presentation and then canned it.
People want to hear stories and the imagination is much more
interesting.With a slide show or power point, the lights are out. I
found that I need to see people as I speak. If you are concerned about
flow and your ability to remember content, use a presentation.

6. Show them your pictures after you have spoken. I had some color
copied, enlarged then mounted on foamcore.

7. Presentation outline. The rule of thumb is preparation, preparation,
preparation.

   * Thank the people for coming, thank the people who organized the
     event
   * Introduce yourself: background, family, occupation, reasons for
     walking
   * Tell them how you found out about the Camino, how you trained,
     equipment etc.
   * Introduce the Camino:history, the routes, about St James, reasons
     people walked in the past, tell them about the yellow arrows and
     the refugio
   * Talk about how you traveled to Spain, the first day and then talk
     about the events that are most clear in your mind. Tell stories you
     love.
   * Have a theme that you can close with. For example: I tell people I
     walked the Camino understand "what is my purpose in life". I tell
     them why I needed this question answered, how I found it, and now
     what I am doing to live my purpose.
   * Thank the audience Then they will thank you with their applause.
     Accept it.
   * Open the floor to questions.
   * Hand out something that has your name/email and contacts for list
     servs, web sites, books. You will see the Camino pilgrims in the
     audience and they will come up to you afterwards to ask questions.
     Encourage them to contact you.

You are now officially a disciple of the Camino. Congratulations.

If anyone is interested I would be happy to share my power point
presentation to give you a template or ideas.  Email me at
http://sue.kenneyasympatico.ca.

Now I must get back to writing my book.

warmest regards,

Sue