Equipment list and other preparatory thoughts

Galen Wilkerson galen_wilkersonaYAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 3 00:23:46 PST 2003

My Equipment list: (for camino de santiago, starting August 23, 2003 from
St. Jean Pied-de-Port)

This is my equipment list, not necessarily appropriate for everyone, but
might be useful.

This is fairly exhaustive.  If it's not listed I (probably) didn't bring
it.  Note that this is for the SUMMER, so I didn't need much.  My sleeping
bag could have been lighter, and my backpack was pretty big for what I was
carrying.   I did not have a windbreaker or jacket of any kind, which was
fine.  But I'm a big guy who doesn't get cold, and my metabolism kept me
pretty warm most of the time.   I left my tent and water-filter/pump at St.
Jean-pdp.  If I did it again, I would use a lighter/smaller backpack, and
maybe a slightly lighter sleeping bag.  (I had heavier stuff because I
originally planned to hike the GR10 through the high pyrennees.)

- Useful/essential-ish things:
(heck, one guy started with nothing, and ended up with a backpack and other
stuff!)

backpack – better than a gunny sack :)
sleeping bag
foam pad - not 100% needed, but useful if you plan to sleep outside, or
           are forced to sleep in a gymnasium on "el puto suelo de mierda",
           when the albergue is full
tarp – same goes for this, could wrap around yourself if sleeping outside
water bottles – bring 2, or just buy bottled water in shops and
                refill them at bars, etc.
journal/pens – very useful
headlamp, extra batteries – do it
metal spoon – best tool for eating
first aid kit – you never know, and you might have to help someone else
small hard plastic sealable container – very useful as a cup/bowl and way to
                                        keep things dry
swiss army knife – just used knife, can opener and bottle opener
plastic bags or garbage bags – generally useful to keep things dry
shower gel – good for washing self and clothes
             (you'll be washing them by hand often)
toothbrush/paste
toilet paper
one or two hiking poles – there are a lot of dogs in spain, for one thing
wide-brimmed hat – I had a very big straw one so I looked like
                   huckleberry pilgrim.  I never needed sunscreen.
passport, etc. – all I needed to go to the doctor in spain,
                 otherwise it was free!
ATM/VISA card – how else are you going to get into debt?
                used my american card all over for getting euros.

- Other random inessential stuff that adds to weight:

guidebook – not needed really.  I started out without one, but was given
one in german because I delivered
a jacket someone had forgotten.
a book to read – not really needed, since you are always talking to people,
eating, or sleeping
radio - same
dictionary – small one, or phrasebook, can be useful
emergency whistle – not needed, but maybe good idea anyway
sewing kit – what the heck, it's light, and you might need it for those
darned socks!
disposable camera – not really necessary, lots of photos of same stuff on
the web
pillow case – (or just get used to laying your head on other people's
drool, the option I chose)
emergency blanket – the plastic shiny thing, not really necessary
super glue – I used this to repair my boot soles when they started to fall
apart, but not essential

clothing:

fairly thick wool sweater – very very useful, warm, doesn't smell even
after a few weeks of not washing
poncho – very useful
boots – light, something that hugs your foot firmly, the more firmly, the
less blisters, the lighter, the less
tendonitis, etc.  Good support is a good idea too.
2 pair of socks – thick wool – better to hug your feet with, wash often,
hang to dry on your pack while
walking
synthetic hiking pants – incredibly useful in so many ways.  Will dry on
your body.
soccer jersey – great!, always looks good and sporty, bought for $4 used
cotton short-sleeve shirt with collar – a synthetic one with collar would
have been better, but was fine
2 pair shorts (only needed one) – useful to have for swimming, hot days,
change of clothes when washing

Other random thoughts:

- If given the choice between a hostel in a town or in a smaller village, I
would always choose the small village.  It's more relaxing.

- Again, take it easy on your body, especially the first 2 weeks.  Take a
day off or a few  low-kilometer days the first week, especially in the
first few days.  Then walk a few days moderately, then take another day off
or slow day.   One young woman I met walked 40 km the first day, then 25
the next and had to stop because her knees were aching.  This means she
might have damaged her knees.  She was young.  It was a shame to see her
walking like a cripple because of this aggressiveness early on.  That is
not to say you can't do long days, since later in the walk I covered 132 km
in 4 days, but I was glad that I didn't try this until after a few weeks,
just to make sure I wouldn't hurt my joints or tendons, etc.   I had no
blisters up to Santiago.

- I did have big blisters on the way to Finisterra, because it rained a lot
and my socks got wet around my ankles, which rubbed against my boots and
gave me big painful blisters.  I would make some plastic gaiters or
something to avoid this.

- You could bring a trowel to bury your kaka and toilet paper, because
every bush near the trail has white paper on the ground behind it, no
kidding.  Maybe you can just burn the paper, but be careful, the meseta is
dry and probably flammable.

- you can buy cell phones, but it is somehow not pleasant or a great idea
(in my opinion), unless you have health or other such concerns.  You can
also just get a phone card in a "tabac"(france) or "estanco"(sp.)

- two different people I knew fell down when the long laces of one boot
caught on their other boot.  Once it happened to a very athletic friend of
mine.  He was carrying a rather heavy bag, so he hurt his shoulder pretty
badly.  The other time, a woman who was a multiple marathon-runner fell and
had a nasty black eye and bled all over the place.  I was happy when my
laces broke so they were short and wouldn’t catch on the other boot.  Just
be aware of this strange problem and tie them up or pull you pants over
them, etc.

I had an idea that maybe the hostels could let people stay for free if they
picked up trash while they were walking, but I never got to talk to many
people about it.  Maybe someone could bring it up with the hostel
organization, not sure who to contact.

buen' camino!
Galen