post-camino - writing about one's experience of the Camino

Galen Wilkerson galen_wilkersonaYAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 2 21:10:23 PST 2003

Hi Brooke (and others on this topic),

I agree with you very much that it is useful to write about this.  I became
very much aware  when "caminoing" that the mind does all kinds of things
while the legs keep walking, and walking, and walking.  It was pretty
interesting actually to be aware of this.  Of course, among other things,
it helps one process so many things that happened before starting the walk,
which is of course one reason many people do it.  I kept an "electronic
journal" that I sent to about 45 people in various places, and also carried
a sketchbook that I used as a journal to write thoughts, phone numbers,
etc. etc, and even a few sketches.  and I didn't even really take pictures,
since I knew there would be a ton of them to be found on the web etc.  I
was glad for this approach, since it let me slow down a bit and try to
really be mindful of actually being in Spain and actually walking every day
for hours, and actually walking on a path that has been continually walked
for something like 1000 years or more.

I'm rambling on a bit, but I'm getting to a point here somewhere, that I'm
thinking of doing a presentation to various groups in the area about my
walk and adventure in France and Spain, also walking on the GR10 from
Hendaye to St. J-pdp beforehand, and returning to stay for 1 euro per day
in Santiago afterwards (including food and lodging), then living in my tent
in Toulouse for 3 weeks near the canal du midi, while trying and trying to
find a job in Europe, and finding out how to live for very little
there :),  and generally about how hard it is to "escape" the camino in
southern France.  It was a nice adventure, and I want it to continue.  (ok,
not the mice crapping in my tent)

ciao,
Galen

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 21:48:51 -0500, Brooke Broadbent
<bbroadbentaSYMPATICO.CA> wrote:

>This thread resonates with me. Thanks to everyone who has contributed. In
my
>experience writing about one's Camino experience can have a huge
therapeutic
>value. I think it can also help to connect the writer with his readers and
>in that way make new friends and become closer to existing friends. And I
>suspect that a well-written story can generate employment. (I've published
>books in other areas that have given a huge lift to my career. And I plan
>use my Camino manuscript to launch me into new areas.)
>
>I found huge value in writing about my Camino experience. Based on my
>experience over the last few years and the people I met on hte Camino, I
>created a story of people that a fictional character meets as he walks
along
>the Camino. It was a great way for me to reflect on hte meaning of my
Camino