Le Puy, Fete du Roi de L'Oiseau

Judith Nollar jnollaraLIBRARY.CALTECH.EDU
Thu Aug 21 12:19:05 PDT 2003

Hi Kathy,
We stayed over for the Fete in Le Puy in Sept. 1996.  It was unquestionably
one of the best events of all our years on the Camino.  The entire Old Town
goes into medieval/renaissance mode - everyone in costumes, animals kept in
the little shelters adjoining the houses and being herded through the
streets, pilgrims sleeping tin the Cathedral porches, food stalls, buskers
and puppeteers plus a big encampment in the park in the "new town."  The Old
Town is wonderfully picturesque without all this, but to sit in a little
café and watch Crusaders ride by on their big horses.....it's not to miss.
I've wondered ever since why there isn't more excitement about this event,
but then France has so many great local Fetes.
We had no gite reservations that year, and never had a problem as long as we
called ahead the night or morning before. Of course that could have changed;
it's been 7 years.....

Best wishes,
Judy Nollar

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Kathy Gower [mailto:kathygowerahotmail.com]
Sent:   Wednesday, August 20, 2003 11:09 AM
To:     GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject:        Le Puy, Fete du Roi de L'Oiseau

Greetings,

Has any of you fellow pilgrims ever been in Le Puy for the Renaissance
festival of the King of the Birds?
This year it will be from September 10th-14th, right about the time I will
be there.  Since is is recommended that one makes gite reservations in
France, spending an extra day there will throw off a set of such
reservations...any thoughts out there?  (try a google search for Du Roi de
L'Oiseau if you're interested).

Kathy