leaving soon

Sally Haden hadense1948aHOTMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 12 12:03:59 PDT 2003

Hi Glenn
You said that you are not going until May 2005, but that you feel the
pilgrimage really starts once you are aware of it.... and the pilgrimage is
really your entire life...
It's true, of course, and back in medieval times too, the image of
pilgrimage was understood as a metaphor for life, so you are in good
company. Here's a little factual contribution... I am reading a book about
English medieval Christianity in which this is discussed, with examples from
literature and art and also from a tomb found a few years ago in Worcester
cathedral in England.  Here a man was "laid out in his pilgrim's gear, staff
and cockle shell by his side, his (little used) boots on his feet."
Personally I like the image because I too can't go on the Camino yet but
love to read about it and hear about it, and maybe practice wearing the
gear... maybe not too far off from the way that Worcester man lived and
thought about the Camino!  It brings it nearer and connects us with the
spirit of the pilgrimage.  Then one day, we will be off...!
Buen Camino
Sally